Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Radio Moscow - how psychedelic a rock can get?

    Hello everybody. Today I would like to share with you about my recent discovery - a band named Radio Moscow. Wikipedia and all the other smart music websites define their music style as "psychedelic rock". Ok, "rock" sounds good... and what's the deal with this "psychedelic" adjective? Well, this is what the band itself has written about the evolution of its style: "channeled through the blues with experimental breakdowns, unpredictable tempo changes, crazy rave-ups and fuzzed out psychedelic guitar work".
    If I had to define Radio Moscow's style myself, I am sure I wouldn't use the term "psychedelic" rock. Not that it is not adequate - simply because not until recently I had no idea that such genre even existed. Instead I would tell you that it's a fine mixture of blues rock and progressive rock with a subtle hint of some of more "heavy" music styles.
    But let's forget about the nuances of genre names and ask one, very important question - are they any good? Of course I am no music critic and I can only speak for myself, but I have to say: hell, yes! If you are into blues rock, progressive stuff and even all kinds of metal you'll simply love the band, however even my friend, who listens to completely different, non-rock music told me that he liked them very much.

If you want, you can give them a listen right now on this player, ripped from their myspace site:
Consigue Flash ahora.

Para poder escuchar o ver este contenido, tienes que actualizar tu versión de Flash.


Current touring band members (from left): 
Parker Griggs - Guitars/Vocals/Drums, Paul Marrone - Drums, Zach Anderson - Bass

    "So who are those Radio Moscow guys and if they are so great, why haven't I heard of them?". The band started very typically as a garage project in Story City, Iowa in 2003 by Parker Griggs who writes songs, sings and plays guitar. Oh, and he also plays drums on the records. Quite impressive. What's worth noticing is the fact, that back in the early days Parker would pre-record the drums on a 4-track and then blasts it through amplification. Later, Zach Anderson replaced Serana Andersen as a bassist and, with help of some of their drummer friends, the band is touring ever since.

The cover of "Brain Cycles", their latest album, fits perfectly with the common understanding of the word "psychedelic".

    And why are they not famous yet? That's a good question to which I have no definite answer... Maybe with the help of websites like this one, the band will get more of much-deserved attention.

Links:

0 comments:

Post a Comment